Monday, December 19, 2011

playing outside

Well, I am job-less in Small Town, Texas, it is finally starting to cool off enough to do some fun workouts outside for the 2012 Half Ironman,  so I figure why not blog about it? I am super excited about the race this year! I have had a few people ask me if we will do a full Ironman soon. The answer is No – not soon, at least. I want to perfect the Half! Last year, my goal was to finish and feel good – Check! Now, although I claim “not to be competitive,” I admit that is not true at all. I would say that I am not competitive with others. I am competitive with myself. I know I can push myself and get a better time in the Half Ironman, so this year my goal is a specific time. Let’s hope I can check that one off my list, too!

Caleb and I have gotten a slow start to our training. Throughout the painfully hot summer and fall, we stayed somewhat active – mostly doing boring workouts at the gym. Caleb did race cross one weekend. I have been taking one dance class a week, and I have set up our Pilates studio in our third bedroom. It has only been in the past month that we have started having more intentional workouts. Hopefully some of these things will inspire you to get out and do something fun and active!

Our Pilates Room
I still need to paint it brown & have some things framed for the wall - maybe one day when I have a job & can afford it!


While my mom was here, just a week ago, we went into Austin. We walked along Barton Creek and saw some people swimming in the Barton Springs Pool, a spring-fed pool that is amazing! I felt so inspired because I had not been swimming since the race last April. Caleb and I decided that no matter what, we would travel to Austin last week after my mom left and go for a swim. My mom left on Wednesday, and we were committed to our swim. On Thursday, regardless of 50 degree weather and non-stop rain when Caleb got home at 6:00, we put on our swimsuits and drove into Austin. No one else was at the pool (except a boy in a sweatshirt taking a picture – who we later inspired to get in – in his underwear), and there were giant signs reading “SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK.” Caleb was hesitant, and as usual, thought I was a crazy lunatic. I said I was going to do it, so I was not backing out. I went straight in the water. Caleb followed hesitantly. Initially cold, yes, but it was SO FUN! The pool is “lit,” but I can’t say I did not run into the wall while I was swimming laps – so not lit too well. You really cannot see anything with goggles on, and you swim through grass and have no idea what is below! It is really cool (maybe a little creepy, too). Come visit us, and we will go swimming!

On Saturday of this past weekend, we hosted a little Christmas Open House. We were not active at all that day, so on Sunday we had to get outside! On one of our bike rides around Bastrop, we had ridden past Lake Bastrop Park (owned by LCRA, one of the power companies here), but we had never gone exploring. We decided Sunday was the perfect time to go see this giant park that is literally only 5 minutes from our house. (So yes, two minutes from our house is Bastrop State Park, and 3 minutes from there is Lake Bastrop Park – both significant parks. I would say we ended up in the right place in Texas.) We did a 6.5-mile run around the park. I, of course, took the camera, so here are some photos – maybe to inspire you to visit us or go run-ploring (exploring via run)!





Post-Run
where I want to have my 25th Birthday Celebration this year

I am off to do some Pilates, apply for some more jobs, and try to get our Christmas cards out!! Yes, I am WAY late.



We have a special week of workouts planned for our long Christmas Weekend, so stay tuned!
Love,
Crazy Molly Blane

1 comment:

  1. 'ready for a Christmas weekend update. Love and miss you! Have a good week and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete